Studying and Living in Germany
Seminar (AWP) Blockseminar
This course can also be accredited towards the Certificate of Intercultural Competence (ZIK).
A very warm welcome to all our exchange students. We are very happy to have you here!
We would like to offer you an interactive training course in a relaxed and fun atmosphere in which you will gain some interesting insights in the German (academic) culture. You can meet other international students and the SWOP-team and learn from each other. The course will embrace elements of an intercultural training to help you to prepare for intercultural encounters. We will talk about your first impressions of Germany and the Germans and prepare you for the challenges you might face on campus. You will also have the opportunity to reflect upon and share your experiences during your stay in Germany.
Topics we will tackle:
- My culture – your culture
- German cultural standards and cultural dimensions
- “Germans are coconuts?” – Stereotypes and prejudices
- Critical Incidents – Communication with professors and students
- Studying in Germany – Different teaching and learning styles
- Home sick? – The effects of culture shock
Form der Wissensvermittlung
Group discussions, critical incidents, experimental methods, self-reflexion, games…