English Communication Skills for Systems Engineers Intermediate
Which English communication skills do you need as a future ‘Systems Engineer’? This course with intermediate level will prepare you for different kinds of situations and topics for your studies and future job in your field.
Covered topics are (but not limited to):
- Presentation: What is engineering (for you)?
- Project work: Explaining technical functions and applications
- Report: Technical problems and faults
- Writing/Speaking: Communication at the work place (e-mails, reports, presentations etc.)
- Writing/Speaking: Scientific writing (abstracts, papers, summaries and journals) and presenting at conferences (talks, posters and socialising at scientific events)
The seminar is designed as an online self-learning course accompanied by regular meetings at your location or via Skype with the help of a language tutor. Written feedback may also be given during self-learning phases online.
It is an interactive course with professional training in communication strategies in English. The tasks are mostly project-based and require collaboration in teams as well as solving fun creative tasks. On Moodle, all tasks and further material will be provided for every student.
The detailed term schedule will be discussed during a first group meeting at the beginning of the semester. Your final grade
consists of the sum of evaluations of your written and oral contributions during the semester.
General goals of the course are:
- Exploring topics in the world of engineering, mechanics and computer science
- Getting ready for the job – written and oral communication strategies and skills in English
- Intercultural communication and management at the workplace
Please note that there is a follow-up course available for this seminar: English (Advanced B2/C1) for System Engineers.
Course materials will be made available on moodle
20-25 h Lehrveranstaltung; 35 h Selbststudium