AuxStudents: Writing for Social Media in English
@AuxStudents: A social media project in English working in teams to produce content for students from students on Instagram (also often shared to Facebook for international followers).
A key skill in today’s business world is the ability to communicate on social media platforms. Companies need to build and promote their brands, connect with their customers, pay attention to influencers and share new developments. This is a class that is NOT LIKE OTHER CLASSES. When you join AuxStudents, you become a member of a team and it becomes YOUR job to create content in English about studying and living in Augsburg. We are like a social media “student newspaper” with information from students for students. In smaller teams within our group, you will test strategies to increase engagement with our followers, while building our own brand as a site where students can get useful information about the university and the region. The course time is spent both in weekly Zoom meetings and in team private chats. We meet during on Mondays from 13-14.00 (currently online via ZOOM) and spend a lot of time in team WhatsApp chats throughout the week, to create up-to-date content. You and your team are content creators and it is your job to be creative, take pictures, be informed and spread important and current information.
Students from ALL faculties who have the C1 level (or almost!), especially international students, are invited to join our team. So far we have had a student from every faculty join us. We especially would like to encourage more designers and also people with video experience join our team as well, because we are would like to make a few more videos as well.
The course focuses on the following topics:
- Managing our social media account @AuxStudents in English
- Understanding the stories and feed posts that attract the most followers
- Coordinating content with a team to increase engagement
- Writing posts, taking pictures, creating visual designs, and making videos for the account
- Finding good local content, interviewing people and promoting regional people and businesses.
- Negotiating with local businesses for giveaways and online contests
- Translating important information about Augsburg, the HSA, and Corona to inform our followers.
- Creating a portfolio of one’s own posts, stories, self-assessment of contributions, and suggestions for the future of @AuxStudents.
Course materials will be made available on Moodle and in class!
30 hours (2 h / week)