Full-time, Dual cooperative study program
Bachelor of Engineering
Within the German economy, mechanical engineering is both the strongest and the most diverse industry sector. This means that the demands made of a mechanical engineer are equally varied. Students of mechanical engineering have to be able to deal with a quickly changing (working) world in which there is a continual stream of new technologies and developments. This is why it is so important to us at Augsburg UAS to teach our students the fundamental skills that will enable them to solve problems and manage processes using their own initiative.
The undergraduate degree program in mechanical engineering, which takes seven semesters, is an in-depth technical, mathematical, scientific and engineering-based program of study. During the first few semesters, the focus is on “classic” mechanical engineering, when the students acquire wide-ranging knowledge with a scientific focus. During their industry internship (5th semester), they are then able to apply the skills they have learnt, before specializing in their 6th and 7thsemesters back at the university. Due to the wide range of elective modules on offer, it is advisable to choose one of the following areas of specialization:
- Construction and Development
- Industrial Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Energy Management
The job profile of a mechanical engineer (B.Eng.) is extremely varied and heterogeneous. For construction and development, production and manufacture, or sales and after-sales services: wherever you look, a mechanical engineer’s technical know-how is needed.
Mechanical engineers can find work in
- companies (e.g. in the automobile industry, the power supply industry)
- technical inspection bodies and testing agencies
- town planning offices
- public utility companies
- as a freelance appraiser
- research institutes
Future engineers are not only high-tech specialists, but, increasingly, are also technology experts who have leant to think in terms of systems and wider contexts, and to work in interdisciplinary fields. What’s more, they are experienced in the international arena and know how to work in a team.
Information about admission requirements
Anyone thinking about studying mechanical engineering needs a good grasp of technology and should be interested in mathematics and science, as well as being inquisitive, imaginative and creative.
The application procedure takes place once a year. The course begins in the winter semester only. The application period is from 2 May to 15 July (final deadline).
Do you find that the practical focus of the courses in our faculty is not enough for you? Would you prefer a closer tie between theory and practice?
“hochschule dual”, the Bavarian industry’s partner in education, offers you a choice of two models:
- Combined degree program: in addition to studying for a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, you can train to become an industrial mechanic or an aircraft technician. The course begins in the winter semester. (Click here for further information about applications and preferential admissions).
- Degree program with in-depth practice: intensive practical experience in a company (semester vacation, internship for a semester) supplements the Mechanical Engineering degree program. You can begin this course both in the winter and the summer semester.